We officially launched #ProjectWeakLink: Stericycle on March 29, 2016, distributing informational postcards in the Lake Forest, IL area, which is home to Planned Parenthood business partner Stericycle. On March 31, Created Equal was notified by Stericycle’s attorneys that the company was seeking a temporary restraining order to stop the campaign. A hearing was set.
On April 11, 2016, arguments were presented in the lawsuit by Stericycle, Inc. against the pro-life group Created Equal. The Thomas More Society, a national non-profit law firm, represented Created Equal and its Director, Mark Harrington, against the temporary restraining order. The requested order intended to stifle our first amendment protected message that Stericycle is “enabling” abortion giant Planned Parenthood to kill preborn children.
The temporary restraining order was rejected. Plaintiffs were given until April 25, 2016 to amend the original complaint.
On September 29, 2016, Judge Marcouiller ruled in favor of free speech, dismissing all charges against Created Equal (at that time) and Mark Harrington.
See the court documents:
- Stericycle’s complaint
- Created Equal’s motion to dismiss
- Mark Harrington’s declaration
- Judge Marcouiller’s court order
- Stericycle’s amended complaint
- Created Equal’s second motion to dismiss
- Motion for leave to file reply in support of motion to dismiss
- Judge Marcouiller’s memorandum opinion and order
- Stericycle’s motion for voluntary dismissal
- Charles Alutto’s May 2017 letter: Stericycle ceases to dispose of aborted fetuses
Since Jan. 2017, #ProjectWeakLink is being conducted by Created Equal – a non-profit educational foundation (not Created Equal).